Last Updated: 05-07-2018
Ranked, Unranked and Official servers
We have noticed a lot of confusion in the community about ranked and official servers. Hopefully this topic can take some of this confusion away.
Ranked and unranked servers
In Battlefield 4 there are two types of servers available for everyone to play on: ranked and unranked. On ranked servers, the points you gather in a game will contribute to your soldier progression.
EA describes Unranked servers as follows:
"Unranked servers use settings that are considered to drastically change how the game is played. Therefore no soldier progression is awarded on unranked servers."
What does this mean?
- Playing on Unranked servers does not rank up your soldier;
- Unranked servers can heavily customize the gameplay experience.
How can I recognize an Unranked server?
Unranked servers are shown with this icon:
So ranked has two meanings?
Yes. Below a simple schematic:
EA describes Official servers as follows:
"Official servers have strict default settings that are tailored for new players. E.g. an official server that hosts the Defuse game mode must have the max-player-limit set to 10 players."
What does this mean?
- Server owners of Official servers can not kick, ban or move players;
- 3rd party anti-cheat plugins* will not kick, ban or move players;
- Server owners have limited capabilities of customizing their server;
- Gametime** can access Official servers.
Official servers are considered ranked as in "contributing to soldier progression".
How can I recognize an Official server?
Official servers are shown with this icon:
EA describes Ranked servers as follows:
"Ranked servers can use settings that are slightly different than default servers. E.g. a ranked server that hosts the Defuse game mode can have the max-player-limit set to 6 players."
What does this mean:
- Server owners of Ranked servers can kick, ban and move players;
- 3rd party anti-cheat plugins* will be able to kick, ban and move players;
- Server owners have more freedom of customizing their server (for example pistol only servers);
- Gametime** can not access Ranked servers.
Ranked servers are also considered ranked as in "contributing to soldier progression".
How can I recognize a Ranked server?
Ranked servers are shown in the server browser with this icon:
* 3rd party anti-cheats: BF4DB, GGC-Stream, PBBans, 247Fairplay, ACI.
** Gametime is a free 168h trail for BF4, often abused by cheaters. Gametime users can only access Official servers.